1-Phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) Leuckart amination to amphetamine and methamphetamine. Smale scale.

Hank Schrader

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I will share the table with you.
Khi3lZJupI

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hank SchraderMaybe it is just fair to add that temperatures over 180 °C like the named 200 and 210 °C for sure completely destroy P2P and even the Formamide, the resulting vapors and gases are highly toxic. Vent everything coming from top of the condenser outsides! Seriously!
Keep it below 180, better below 175°C and calibrate the Infrared thermometer to the flask/setting you use or you will never exactly know how hot it is.

Good luck

View previous replies…

ZACARIASKLK123

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Maybe it is just fair to add that temperatures over 180 °C like the named 200 and 210 °C for sure completely destroy P2P and even the Formamide, the resulting vapors and gases are highly toxic. Vent everything coming from top of the condenser outsides! Seriously!
Keep it below 180, better below 175°C and calibrate the Infrared thermometer to the flask/setting you use or you will never exactly know how hot it is.

Good luck
OrgUnikumBut how many minutes, 30 minutes like it states or 10 minutes divided in three portions at 60w? 150 - 160C?

• 15minutes total?, because I have read some did that.

I want to try this synthesis, since I have a colleague who happens to have a microwave reactor

@G.Patton @William Dampier Any input on this?

• Or perhaps The end of the reaction is determined when the gases cease to be released?

Last edited:

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
But how many minutes, 30 minutes like it states or 10 minutes divided in three portions at 60w? 150 - 160C?

• 15minutes total?, because I have read some did that.

I want to try this synthesis, since I have a colleague who happens to have a microwave reactor

@G.Patton @William Dampier Any input on this?

• Or perhaps The end of the reaction is determined when the gases cease to be released?
ZACARIASKLK123I attach the article and you can look for yourself. I saw a post elsewhere where somebody claims good yields like 80% in a modified household microwave(hole for condenser) with temperatures not over 175°C to avoid Formamide decomposition. No further details were given on this.

Attachments

• O8W2pFPLM1.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 658

Hank Schrader

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
We love the purity of the product.
I have tried many ways to synthesize dextromethamphetamine.
Leuckart, amalgam, electrolysis method, reactor, boron hydride.
A method for obtaining methamphetamine from synthesized ephedrine was also tested.
Ephedrine was obtained in various ways.
For my consumers, I have found the best product with high activity and crystal purity.
The cost of obtaining 1kg of dextromethamphetamine is only ~220-250 euros

Attachments

• UacHJ0KtAB.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 936
  • r5F9paNthy.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 800
  • geyYESWZL8.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 769
  • PWu7vlHX2N.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 726
  • wDvh5KHcB1.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 717
  • nmfH5sBWSe.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 688
  • zGmyXEgN4D.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 768
View previous replies…

googie

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
A method for obtaining methamphetamine from synthesized ephedrine was also tested.
For my consumers, I have found the best product with high activity and crystal purity.
Hank SchraderDoes the ephedrine synthesis perhaps involve α-methylamino-propiophenone hydrochloride & nabh4?

OrgUnikum

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Hank SchraderHow much N-Iso was needed to have the racemic Meth form those nice crystals?

BamBam

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
7. Crude methamphetamine free base is distilled under vacuum (2 mbar, 60-100 °C) with help of Kugelrohr distillation apparatus (optional) to yield methamphetamine as a clear to pale yellow oil (2.5 g, 42%).

What’s other option? Simple, fractional or steam distillation? If don’t have Kugelrohr distillation apparatus?

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
7. Crude methamphetamine free base is distilled under vacuum (2 mbar, 60-100 °C) with help of Kugelrohr distillation apparatus (optional) to yield methamphetamine as a clear to pale yellow oil (2.5 g, 42%).

What’s other option? Simple, fractional or steam distillation? If don’t have Kugelrohr distillation apparatus?
BamBamYour mixture has easily separable components with very large range of bp's, so fractional is out.
Your product degrades before reaching bp, even more so than the primary amine derivative, so normal distill out too.
Steam is the way to go, preferably from an alkaline solution of 35% NaOH at most to prevent alkaline hydrolysis.

If by any means you prefer this you can also just perform a solvent extraction from basic sol. using something like toluene, strip off the organic layer and acidfiy to ph 2-3 followed by water. Next this added water is separated and organic fraction is discarded.Kept aq layer basified and rextracted with clean solvent.

BamBam

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Your mixture has easily separable components with very large range of bp's, so fractional is out.
Your product degrades before reaching bp, even more so than the primary amine derivative, so normal distill out too.
Steam is the way to go, preferably from an alkaline solution of 35% NaOH at most to prevent alkaline hydrolysis.

If by any means you prefer this you can also just perform a solvent extraction from basic sol. using something like toluene, strip off the organic layer and acidfiy to ph 2-3 followed by water. Next this added water is separated and organic fraction is discarded.Kept aq layer basified and rextracted with clean solvent.
UWe9o12jkied91dThanks mate, much appreciated

rothschild33

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Your mixture has easily separable components with very large range of bp's, so fractional is out.

UWe9o12jkied91dWhat is the function of the NaOH in steam distillation?

rothschild33

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

BamBamWhat is the function of the NaOH in steam distillation?

BamBam

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Do you mind giving me a little more info on prevent alkaline hydrolysis.
As I’ve done the reaction and now have produced as a dark oil in toluene.
can I just steam distill by adding water to Rm or better to add aq Noah solution?

Win Win

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Amphetamine
Reagents:
  • 1-Phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 0.827 g, 6.2 mmol;
  • Formamide 3.5 ml;
  • Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) 5 ml 30%;
  • Benzene 50 ml;
  • Magnesium sulphate (MgSO4);
  • Methanol 5 ml (MeOH);
  • Hydrochloric acid (15 % aq HCl) 5 ml;
  • Distilled water 25 ml;
  • Dichloromethane (DCM) 90 ml;
  • Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) pellets;
  • Sulfuric acid;
  • Acetone;
Equipment and glassware:
  • Pear shaped flask 10 ml;
  • Heating plate;
  • Boiling chips;
  • Funnel;
  • Rotary evaporator (optional);
  • Syringe or Pasteur pipette;
  • pH indicator papers;
  • Beakers (50 mL x2, 100 mL x2);
  • Separatory funnel 100 ml;
  • Laboratory scale (0.1-200 g is suitable);
  • Measuring cylinders 10 mL and 100 mL;
  • Glass rod and spatula;
  • Laboratory grade thermometer;
  • Buchner flask and funnel;
  • Filter paper;
1. A mixture of 1-phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 0.827 g, 6.2 mmol and formamide 3.5 ml is heated at 160-170 ℃ for 16 h in a 10 ml pear shaped flask with a reflux condenser.
2. The mixture is cooled to room temperature, hydrogen peroxide 5 ml 30% (H2O2) is added. The mixture is stirred for 15 min.
3. The reaction mixture is
extracted with benzene (2x25 ml) is separatory funnel. Extract is dried over magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) and filtered. A dark oil is obtained after benzene evaporation from combined extract.
4. The dark oil is dissolved in a mixture of methanol 5 ml (MeOH) and hydrochloric acid (15% HCl) 5 ml and refluxed with a constant stirring for 2 h.
5. The reaction mixture is evaporated under reduced pressure. Next, the remaining product is dissolved in distilled water 25 ml and extracted with dichloromethane (DCM) CH2Cl2 (2x20 ml).
6. The aqueous solution is alkalized to pH 10 by addition sodium hydroxide (NaOH) pellets and extracted with DCM (2x25 ml).
7. The combined DCM extracts are evaporated. The amphetamine free base is obtained as a yellow oil.
8. Amphetamine sulphate
is prepared by addition of sulfuric acid in dry acetone in a volume ratio of 1:10 to pH 6. Product is filtered on Buchner flask and funnel, washed with a small amount of dry cold acetone and air dried (better to use vacuum desiccator to increase drying speed).

Methamphetamine
Download Video
Reagents:
  • 1-Phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 5.4 mL, 40.2 mmol;
  • N-methylformamide 13.4 mL, 229 mmol;
  • Hydrochloric acid (36-37% aq HCl) 10.7 mL, 0.004 mmol;
  • Toluene 60 ml;
  • Sodium hydroxide (NaOH);
  • Distilled water;
  • Acetone;
  • Hydrogen chloride gas (HCl);
Equipment and glassware:
  • Pear shaped flask 50 ml;
  • Heating plate;
  • Boiling chips;
  • Funnel;
  • pH indicator papers;
  • Glass rod and spatula;
  • Filter paper;
1. N-methylformamide 13.4 mL, 229 mmol, 5.7 equiv is added to 1-phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 5.4 mL, 40.2 mmol with a constant stirring in 50 ml pear shaped flask with a reflux condenser.
2. Reaction temperature is gradually increased to 165-170 °C and maintained for 24-36 h.
3. The reaction mixture is cooled to room temperature. Sodium hydroxide (10 M NaOH aq) solution 24 mL, 0.24 mmol is added and the reaction mixture is refluxed for 2 h.
4. The reaction mixture is cooled to room temperature and separated to different layers. An aqueous layer is discarded. Hydrochloric acid (36-37% aq HCl) 10.7 mL, 0.004 mmol is added to a red organic layer.
5. The organic mixture is
refluxed for 2 h. Then, the solution is cooled to room temperature. Sodium hydroxide (8.3 M aq NaOH) solution 16.0mL, 0.13 mmol is slowly added. The crude methamphetamine free base is extracted with toluene (3 × 20 mL).
6. Combined organic layers are
dried over MgSO4 and solvent is evaporated in vacuum. Crude methamphetamine free base is obtained as a brown oil.

Methamphetamine hydrochloride crystallization
1. Free base is dissolved in toluene 50 mL and anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas (HCl) is bubbled through the solution until a white precipitate formation is over (pH 6).
2. The resulting white precipitate is filtered with help of Buchner flask and funnel, washed with small amount of toluene and dried under vacuum to produce methamphetamine hydrochloride as a white salt 2.0 g, 27%.
William DampierHi sir if i want to follow your ingredient. Is it i need start bmk turn to p2p first. Then p2p turn to amphetamine? Last amphetamine turn to methamphetamine?

googie

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Why amphetamine -> methamphetamine?

You can go straight to meth with the P2P.

masterpell

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Can Benzene be replaced by other materials? Can anhydrous acetone be replaced by ipa

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Amphetamine
Reagents:
  • 1-Phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 0.827 g, 6.2 mmol;
  • Formamide 3.5 ml;
  • Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) 5 ml 30%;
  • Benzene 50 ml;
  • Methanol 5 ml (MeOH);
  • Hydrochloric acid (15 % aq HCl) 5 ml;
  • Distilled water 25 ml;
  • Dichloromethane (DCM) 90 ml;
  • Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) pellets;
  • Sulfuric acid;
  • Acetone;
Equipment and glassware:
  • Pear shaped flask 10 ml;
  • Heating plate;
  • Boiling chips;
  • Funnel;
  • pH indicator papers;
  • Glass rod and spatula;
  • Filter paper;
1. A mixture of 1-phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 0.827 g, 6.2 mmol and formamide 3.5 ml is heated at 160-170 ℃ for 16 h in a 10 ml pear shaped flask with a reflux condenser.
2. The mixture is cooled to room temperature, hydrogen peroxide 5 ml 30% (H2O2) is added. The mixture is stirred for 15 min.
3. The reaction mixture is
extracted with benzene (2x25 ml) is separatory funnel. Extract is dried over magnesium sulphate (MgSO4) and filtered. A dark oil is obtained after benzene evaporation from combined extract.
4. The dark oil is dissolved in a mixture of methanol 5 ml (MeOH) and hydrochloric acid (15% HCl) 5 ml and refluxed with a constant stirring for 2 h.
5. The reaction mixture is evaporated under reduced pressure. Next, the remaining product is dissolved in distilled water 25 ml and extracted with dichloromethane (DCM) CH2Cl2 (2x20 ml).
6. The aqueous solution is alkalized to pH 10 by addition sodium hydroxide (NaOH) pellets and extracted with DCM (2x25 ml).
7. The combined DCM extracts are evaporated. The amphetamine free base is obtained as a yellow oil.
8. Amphetamine sulphate
is prepared by addition of sulfuric acid in dry acetone in a volume ratio of 1:10 to pH 6. Product is filtered on Buchner flask and funnel, washed with a small amount of dry cold acetone and air dried (better to use vacuum desiccator to increase drying speed).

Methamphetamine
Download Video
Reagents:
  • 1-Phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 5.4 mL, 40.2 mmol;
  • N-methylformamide 13.4 mL, 229 mmol;
  • Hydrochloric acid (36-37% aq HCl) 10.7 mL, 0.004 mmol;
  • Toluene 60 ml;
  • Sodium hydroxide (NaOH);
  • Distilled water;
  • Acetone;
  • Hydrogen chloride gas (HCl);
Equipment and glassware:
  • Pear shaped flask 50 ml;
  • Heating plate;
  • Boiling chips;
  • Funnel;
  • pH indicator papers;
  • Glass rod and spatula;
  • Filter paper;
1. N-methylformamide 13.4 mL, 229 mmol, 5.7 equiv is added to 1-phenyl-2-propanone (P2P) 5.4 mL, 40.2 mmol with a constant stirring in 50 ml pear shaped flask with a reflux condenser.
2. Reaction temperature is gradually increased to 165-170 °C and maintained for 24-36 h.
3. The reaction mixture is cooled to room temperature. Sodium hydroxide (10 M NaOH aq) solution 24 mL, 0.24 mmol is added and the reaction mixture is refluxed for 2 h.
4. The reaction mixture is cooled to room temperature and separated to different layers. An aqueous layer is discarded. Hydrochloric acid (36-37% aq HCl) 10.7 mL, 0.004 mmol is added to a red organic layer.
5. The organic mixture is
refluxed for 2 h. Then, the solution is cooled to room temperature. Sodium hydroxide (8.3 M aq NaOH) solution 16.0mL, 0.13 mmol is slowly added. The crude methamphetamine free base is extracted with toluene (3 × 20 mL).
6. Combined organic layers are
dried over MgSO4 and solvent is evaporated in vacuum. Crude methamphetamine free base is obtained as a brown oil.

Methamphetamine hydrochloride crystallization
1. Free base is dissolved in toluene 50 mL and anhydrous hydrogen chloride gas (HCl) is bubbled through the solution until a white precipitate formation is over (pH 6).
2. The resulting white precipitate is filtered with help of Buchner flask and funnel, washed with small amount of toluene and dried under vacuum to produce methamphetamine hydrochloride as a white salt 2.0 g, 27%.
William DampierRecently I started to alternate Leuckart route and NaBH4 route for D-Meth and
I had twice a strange situation in the Leuckart route.
After tartaric isomer separation when I turns the solid part alkali to remake separation the freebase goes to the bottom layer.
It only happened with the L-meth freebase from Leuckart route, before separation when its racemic in alkali ambient is top layer, the líquid part after isomer separation(D-meth freebase) when its alkali is top layer too as it should be but Lmeth freebase no.
Is strange and I dont have the explanation I dont know if someone has the same situation or know why this happens.
Thanks.

Attachments

• AvRK9J4GiN.jpg
    AvRK9J4GiN.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 229

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Recently I started to alternate Leuckart route and NaBH4 route for D-Meth and
After tartaric isomer separation when I turns the solid part alkali to remake separation the freebase goes to the bottom layer.
It only happened with the L-meth freebase from Leuckart route, before separation when its racemic in alkali ambient is top layer, the líquid part after isomer separation(D-meth freebase) when its alkali is top layer too as it should be but Lmeth freebase no.
Is strange and I dont have the explanation I dont know if someone has the same situation or know why this happens.
Thanks.
btcboss2022Ok I made an acid-base washing and in the acid phase appeared a fucking impurity not soluble in the solvent as the rest of impurities and not remain in the water with the freebase just goes to the bottom.
Possibly I made a mistake during Leuckart procesos many things at the same time hahah
The mistery now is why only appears after isomer separation and only in the Lmeth side because I made the same washing for Dmeth freebase and it didnt appeared, seems curious at least
Pic is from the ácid phase solvent top layer water with freebase médium layer and unknown sticky impurity in the bottom layer.
NoPYqsBchy

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Recently I started to alternate Leuckart route and NaBH4 route for D-Meth and
Thanks.
btcboss2022Even the color in the first photo says that you have dirty oil with a significant impurity, did you distill the amine after Leuckart-Wallach? Leuckart is known to give a mixture of various secondary/tertiary amines, possibly some other impurities. Hank Schrader posted an excerpt from the study, in which the formation of impurities in the Leuckart-Wallach reaction is considered in more detail.
Also, the separation of isomers could not have been satisfactory due to the low purity of the free base of the amine.

View previous replies…

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Even the color in the first photo says that you have dirty oil with a significant impurity, did you distill the amine after Leuckart-Wallach? Leuckart is known to give a mixture of various secondary/tertiary amines, possibly some other impurities. Hank Schrader posted an excerpt from the study, in which the formation of impurities in the Leuckart-Wallach reaction is considered in more detail.
Also, the separation of isomers could not have been satisfactory due to the low purity of the free base of the amine.
w2x3f5Thanks for your answer.
I always wash and clean the freebase after isomer separation no matter what route I use.
Is just an economical matter at big scale.
You dont use the same amount of reagents to clean the whole racemic freebase than only the separated part.
I dont know where you see the freebase in the pic, if you read it carefully you will see that is not possible to see it due its in the water layer.
About the separation of the "dirty" freebase(its extracted and dried) I can tell you that its works properly the proof is the final stuff obtained(pic added) and also I get less D freebase each time I remake the process to the L freebase so it works its a fact.
I isolated that"impurity" and it gets dissolved in DCM but not in Hexane and now its a dilemma I dont know if Hexane is not enough good solvent for that kind of products or if DCM dissolve some organic impurities :-(
Thanks

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thanks for your answer.
I always wash and clean the freebase after isomer separation no matter what route I use.
You dont use the same amount of reagents to clean the whole racemic freebase than only the separated part.
I dont know where you see the freebase in the pic, if you read it carefully you will see that is not possible to see it due its in the water layer.
About the separation of the "dirty" freebase(its extracted and dried) I can tell you that its works properly the proof is the final stuff obtained(pic added) and also I get less D freebase each time I remake the process to the L freebase so it works its a fact.
I isolated that"impurity" and it gets dissolved in DCM but not in Hexane and now its a dilemma I dont know if Hexane is not enough good solvent for that kind of products or if DCM dissolve some organic impurities :-(
Thanks
btcboss2022I forgot the pic sorry.

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Thanks for your answer.
Thanks
btcboss2022I forgot the pic sorry.
KRNq6bGaCV

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Thanks for your answer.
Thanks
btcboss2022The question was: did you purify the free base of the amine before separating the isomers? Leuckart impurities are secondary/tertiary amines and can only be removed by distillation of the free base of the amine.
The question was: did you purify the free base of the amine before separating the isomers? Leuckart impurities are secondary/tertiary amines and can only be removed by distillation of the free base of the amine. I asked you how you purified the free base before isomerization, not after isomerization.
With distilled oil, I have never had problems separating isomers, and it does not matter if it is p2p meth or amp, or p2np amp.
When isolating the salt of the L-isomer of d-tartaric acid (distillation of alcohol), I was left with a dense, sticky oil of a slightly yellowish color.

w2x3f5

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You are totally right was a stupid idea and I apologize about it Im really sorry.
About purity I have lab reports of 93 and 95% Im not based only in customers opinions.
About point 2 yes its correct is around this %
About point 3 I would be very interested in the detailed process you can PM if you prefer.
I cleaned a liter of meth freebase to show you how looks like after the cleaning process.
I made vacuum distillation in past and even more slow than steam :-(
Thanks and sorry again about yesterday message :-(
btcboss2022I can send you in private messages a photo of glass obtained from dirty amine oil. I studied the possibility of obtaining large pieces of glass without vacuum distillation, also there was no separation into isomers.

btcboss2022

Professional
Manufacturer Seller
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
it is an oil with impurities, distilled in fractions in a vacuum, a completely colorless oil, without yellow tints.
w2x3f5I know how pure meth freebase looks like I used to do steam distillation and did vacuum too you must think that freebase of the pic still needs to be extracted and dried but as I explained I'm able to obtain the exactly same pure and strong final product from this freebase, avoiding distillations, than from the distilled one, you won't distinguish them in fact nobody told me anything about any difference in the product and I changed the process long time ago without saying and lab reports indicate exactly the same purity %
Happy to receive the pics thanks.

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect

• The BB Forum team is looking for cooperation:

• Traffic arbitrage specialists
    • Spammers
    • Advertising agencies
    • Bloggers/Vloggers
    • TOR sites directories
    • Creative people who can create viral content
    • Administrators of Telegram Channels and Groups

We will pay more for your traffic than our competitors! $0.1 per visitor!!!If you are interested in, write to the administrator.